No time for baking? Try these Lemony Cupcakes here. My kids can make them in a jiffy from scratch. (Yeah, right, IMAGINE, they are under the icing. We had the color stuff left over from a cake class and got into rainbow color “play.” Move over, cake boss!)
This cupcake recipe (forget the icing) has only 7 common ingredients—which you already have in your pantry or fridge. It is no secret: these lemony cupcakes taste delicious for the generous “splurge” of butter. So don’t overdo the eating. They are a special treat.
By the way: Never mind the “royal” icing on our creations (photos). We went a little crazy. For a healthier outcome, just dust your cupcakes with a little powder sugar—although there is obviously no limit to “creative” decorating.
- 200 g butter (1 ¾ sticks)
- 200 g sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 lemon’s grated peel
- 2 lemons’ juice (or 1 only, but add a squirt of milk)
- 200 g flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- a “shot” of milk, if needed
- Cut up the butter, warm it slightly so that you can beat it easily with a whisk or electric mixer.
- Add in the sugar, eggs, lemon juice, whisk until you get a creamy, fair batter.
- Slowly whisk in the flour and baking powder to a creamy consistency. Add milk, as necessary. Dough should “rip” from the spoon and pile up gently in the paper cups.
- Fill the paper lined cupcake pan equally with 2 spoons full of batter. This makes about 20 cupcakes.
- Bake the cupcakes at 350F for 30 minutes, let cool for 1 hour, then decorate to your heart’s content.
HAVE FUN AT IT! CREATE SOME EDIBLE ART. OCCASIONALLY . . .